Tuesday, December 9, 2008

12/09/2008: Now how did THAT happen?

Just about 3 weeks ago I was in Mexico on business, teaching a PeopleSoft training class to a small group of folks. It was a Friday morning and we were getting ready to start when I noticed an e-mail from my wife. "Call me ASAP!" it said. Not sure what could be wrong, I picked up the phone and called home.

"I'm pregnant!" Mary said.

Let me back up a second. Mary and I have been married for about two and a half years. We've talked about having children and only recently, very recently, did we sort of start trying. I say "sort of" because we weren't trying all that aggressively. We had warmed to the idea of adding to our family, outside of the two puppies we already treat as children, but weren't sure when would be the best time. Mary's getting ready to start her dissertation, I still have to travel for work more often than I would like and then there is the eternal question - "Is anyone ever really 'ready' to have children?" Let's just say it turned out to be a bit easier than we expected. And while we were and still are nervous about the entire concept of parenthood, we're excited!

Question - does this constitute a "life-changing" event. ;-)

Well, enough for my first blog post ever. More to come as we hopefully do a better job of documenting our lives for those of you interested in following along. For now, mark your calendars - July 26, 2009. It's coming...

2 comments:

FMA said...

Um, yes.

Life-changing event, check.

Kids are more permanent than tattoos. You have to feed and water them. And save for college. :)

I am so excited for y'all!!!!

A Spirited Mom said...

You may be worried about the life-changing "concept of parenthood" but you have the conceptION part of parenthood down!

Too much?

Love the blog,
Hilary