Monday, January 5, 2009

01/05/2009: The Holidays & Baby's First Present

Happy New Year! Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!

I'm sitting here watching Ohio State play Texas (a much closer game than I think anyone would have thought, at least through the first half) and was thinking it might be a good time to update the blog. That, and our friend Margaret reminded me that an update was overdue ;-). Oh, before I forget - be sure to look for me on TV this Thursday while watching the BCS National Championship game. My seat is pretty crappy, but maybe I'll get some sympathy TV time! Alas, Mary won't be joining me - as she says, for what the ticket cost, she's not that into football... Go Gators!!!

This year Mary and I stayed home for Christmas as my parents, brother, and their 13 year-old Cairn terrier (Brandi) came to visit us for a week. It was definitely nice not traveling and I think that will be one of the plusses about having a baby (one of many). People will have to come to us, at least for a little while. Overall we had a nice visit. We played some golf, went out to see a couple of movies, ate too much, and sat around discussing religion as often as my parents could work it into the conversation (They're Baptist, for anyone following along at home.). Oh, and just so it is immortalized for all time, please note that I finally managed to beat my father at golf. It may have taken me 32 years, but I did it!

Okay, so you guys are probably more interested in hearing about baby-related things. New Year's Eve, Mary and I decided to drive over to our neighborhood Subaru dealer and see what sort of year-end specials they might have. Our current car is older ('95) and we've been wanting something with a few more safety features. Our choices are kind of limited, as we have to consider both of the dogs as well as a baby. You might think they could all sit in the same seat, but Riley's a licker and I'm not sure the baby would enjoy that. Or maybe the baby would, but I'm sure we'd get some strange looks from people. We both agreed that minivans are out, at least for now and I wasn't all that interested in another station wagon. We'd heard a lot about the Subaru brand and pretty much anyone we talked to about them had only positive things to say. To make a long story long, we got a good deal on a 2009 Forester (we liked the look of the redesigned Forester better than the existing 2008 and earlier models) and so ended up making a purchase. Baby's first real present, and boy was it a doozy!
Next big project - working on the baby's room. We're excited!
-

2 comments:

FMA said...

holla.

good present for your baby!

Amanda said...

Sounds like a very wise choice. Soren likes the Forrester a lot. I'm going for a Prius instead, mainly because I don't want a car with the particular virtues that led you to your new one.